Search This Blog

Monday, March 24, 2014

5 ways to spice up your life




Life can be tedious and unoriginal sometimes, and when it gets to that point it's always important to shake things up. It doesn't have to be big, even the simplest change can make a huge difference. Here is a list of five things that make life more enjoyable.

1. Keep conversation with your family and friends stimulating. 
"How are you?" "What are you up to?" "How was work?" Those questions are boring and you already know the conversation is headed for a dead end real soon. You could ask questions like "If you had a whole day to yourself, what would you do..." or "If you could move to a different country right now, where would it be..." Stray away from questions that can be answered in one word. With those day to day questions, at LEAST try to be more specific. "How did your presentation go at work today?" "What was your favorite thing that happened today?" Your family and friends are what's most important in your life. It's necessary to strengthen those relationships. 

2. Leave your phone at home for a day.
I've tried it, and it makes a huge difference. It felt as if a dark fog had been lifted and I could see things clearly again. You lose so much when your eyes are glued to your phone every waking minute. Conversation is better, your focus is better. I started noticing life's little details again and it was exhilarating. Try it! Even after a few hours you'll notice a difference. 

3. Try a new hobby. 
My new(ish) hobby is writing. I've always wanted to be a writer, and I've done a bit in the past on and off. It's not my greatest strength, but the important thing is I enjoy it and it makes me happy. I have also learned the more I practice, the better I become. 

4. Plan a weekend vacation.
By yourself, with a friend, doesn't matter. Studies have shown that even the planning itself makes a person happier. Just because you work the mundane M-F, 9-5 every week doesn't mean you have to put your life on hold until some vacation time finally comes up. 

5. People watch. 
A couple weeks ago I spent a day at the library. I'll admit, part of the time I was on my laptop, but the rest of the time I observed all the different people coming and going. I'm not a social person by nature and I usually stray away from parties or get togethers because the conversation is usually forced and superficial. People seem to feel this obligation to fill silence with blabber, which drives me up the wall. That's why I love watching people when they are out and about, just living their lives. They seem to be in a more natural state and it feels like you can catch a little glimpse of their humanity. If you are more attracted to the weird side of people but don't have enough money for the circus, hop in your car and head on down to your nearest Walmart, that is always a treat.