Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2011

what started it all

being a "movie buff", there are many, many films that have made an impression on me. whether it be because of the cinematography, acting, visual effects, directing etc., they all bring something new & exciting to the table which reminds me of the reason why i came to love film so much in the first place. the examples shown below are some films that first peaked my interest: films that turned watching a movie for entertainment, into a better understanding of the world of cinema.

gorgeous cinematography
gone with the wind







writing
before sunrise

Jesse: Alright, I have an admittedly insane idea, but if I don't ask you this, it's just, uh, you know, it's gonna haunt me the rest of my life.

Céline: What?

Jesse: Um.. (thinks). I want to keep talking to you, you know. I have no idea what your situation is, but, uh, but I feel like we have some kind of, uh, connection. Right?

Céline: Yeah, me too.

Jesse: Yeah, right, well, great. So listen, so here's the deal. This is what we should do. You should get off the train with me here in Vienna, and come check out the town.

Céline: What?

Jesse: Come on. It'll be fun. Come on.

Céline: What would we do?

Jesse: Umm, I don't know. All I know is I have to catch an Austrian Airlines flight tomorrow morning at 9:30, and I don't really have enough money for a hotel, so I was just going to walk around, and it would be a lot more fun if you came with me. And if I turn out to be some kind of psycho, you know, you just get on the next train.

(Céline smiles, still unsure)

Jesse: Alright, alright. Think of it like this. Um, uh, jump ahead, ten, twenty years, okay, and you're married. Only your marriage doesn't have that same energy that it used to have, you know. You start to blame your husband. You start to think about all those guys you've met in your life, and what might have happened if you'd picked up with one of them, right? (Céline starts laughing a bit) Well, I'm one of those guys. That's me, you know. So think of this as time travel, from then, to now, uh, to find out what you're missing out on. See, what this really could be is a gigantic favor to both you and your future husband, to find out that you're not missing out on anything. I'm just as big a loser as he is, totally unmotivated, totally boring, and, uh, you made the right choice, and you're really happy (motions to towards the door).

Céline: (thinks) Let me get my bag.

Jesse: Yeah.

(They leave train, go into train station)

Jesse: We should get a locker for all this stuff.

Céline: Okay.

(They walk towards the lockers)

Céline: What's your name?

Jesse: My name? Uh, It's Jesse. It's James, actually, but everybody always calls me Jesse. (offers hand)

Céline: You mean, Jesse James? No.

Jesse: No, no. Just Jesse.

Céline: I'm Céline. (they shake hands)


before sunset

Celine:
When I was a little girl, my mom
told me that I was always late to school.
One day she followed me to see why...
I was looking at chestnuts
falling from the trees,
rolling on the sidewalk, or...
ants, crossing the road...
the way a leaf casts a shadow
on a tree trunk...
Little things.
I think it's the same with people.
I see in them little details,
so specific to each other,
that move me, and that I miss, and...
will always miss.
You can never replace anyone,
because everyone is made of such
beautiful specific details.
Like I remember the way...
your beard has a little
bit of red in it.
And how the sun was
making it glow that...
that morning, right before you left.
I remember that, and...
I missed it!
I'm really crazy, right?
All right, now I know for sure.


Jesse:
You wanna know why
I wrote that stupid book?

Celine:
Why?

Jesse:
So that you might come
to a reading in Paris,
and I go walk up to you
and ask:
"Where the fuck were you?"

Celine:
No,
you think I'd be here today?

Jesse:
I'm serious, I think I...
I wrote it, in a way,
to try to find you.

Celine:
Ok, that's...
I know that's not true,
but that's sweet of you to say it.

Jesse:
I think it is true.
What do you think the chances
were of us ever meeting again?

Celine:
After that December,
I'd say almost zero.
If we're not real, anyway, right?
We're just...
characters in that old lady's dream.
She's on her death bed,
fantasizing about her youth...
So, of course we have to meet again!

Jesse:
Oh, God!
Why weren't you there in Vienna?

Celine:
I told you why!

Jesse:
Well, I know why, I just...
I wish you would've been!

Celine:
Our lives might have been
so much different!


unforgettable performances
adrien brody, the pianist


geoffrey rush, shine


tom cruise, magnolia


javier bardem, no country for old men


daniel day-lewis, there will be blood


jack nicholson, the departed


ralph fiennes, the english patient


ellen burstyn, requiem for a dream


jack nicholson, the shining


jennifer aniston, the good girl


robin williams, good will hunting


heath ledger, the dark knight



revolutionary directors
paul thomas anderson


roman polanski


peter jackson


stanley kubrick


martin scorsese


darren aronofsky



visual effects
lord of the rings trilogy